Wednesday, November 20, 2013

La deuxième interview

The Second Interview

For this next post, Elizabeth Kensinger - one of the older fencers in the club - was kind enough to let me interview her in order to gain insight into a more experienced fencer's view on the sport.
Here are her answers:



1) How long have you been fencing, and what made you start in the first place?

I have been fencing seriously since October last year. I started my freshman year - all the way back in September of 2010 - but had to quit due to my weird commuter schedule.

2) What is your weapon of choice, and why?

I prefer épée and have been fencing that weapon since January this year. I will fence foil every so once in a while. I tried sabre but it's really not my thing! Great to watch, though. Épée strategy just clicks with me, and I like the opportunity the weapon rules provide for precise touches, like the wrist and foot.

3) What do you like most about the training?

I get a lot of satisfaction from that I get out of training - of course, I'm usually not happy when I'm doing it! Conditioning helps build muscle, increases your stamina, and will help make you faster. Drills develop muscle memory, so your reaction times are faster, your parries smaller, and your point control is better.

4) Have you been to any of the tournaments, and if so what's your favorite part about them?

I've been competing in tournaments since January of this year, which makes three. I also spectated during a tournament in the fall last year, which I highly recommend. Tournaments are a great opportunity to watch and compete against other fencers, which broadens your skill sets. Plus, you get to participate as a group and cheer on your teammates! I like to photograph during the tournaments as well, when I'm not on the strip.

5) What parry do you tend to use the most and why?

As an épéeist, I do a lot of parry 6/8 and circle 6/8. My parry seven is so weak! Since I'm short most people aren't making lowline attacks, so they're somewhat out of practice. Parry 6 is definitely my bread and butter.

6) Do you adjust your fencing style when fencing certain opponents, or generally just fence them all the same?

I definitely adjust to my opponent! That's what fencing is all about. You figure out what your opponent's strength and weaknesses are, then you develop a strategy to counter them. This is why fencing many people is so important; you are forced to develop a wide skill set.

7) In your opinion, what is the most important thing to practice?

It's difficult to say what the single most important thing to practice is because good fencers have to rely on a variety of skills. Being weak in any area can be easily exploited by your opponent, so it's important to vary your drills and practices. Keep in practice with the basics, like footwork. Even the Olympians do it! Your parries may be perfect, your attacks perfect, good strategy, but poor footwork will sink you.

8) What do you think the most important thing to remember when fencing your preferred weapon is?

Épée is difficult because though you have the whole body as target area, you're not protected by right of way. For short people like me, that means it's especially important to control distance, to be able to close distance quickly, and to be able to take control of your opponent's blade. I tend to be much more defensive because of this; it is easy for my opponent to counterattack me if I am not careful. This is just my technique, however-- I've seen quite successful short people who fence aggressively.

9) Do you own your own equipment, and would you recommend beginners getting their own?

I do own my own equipment, which I actually purchased very recently. I caution most new people to hold off on buying equipment because they simply don't know what they want or need, and they may not stick around. If you're committed to continue fencing an you know it's still right for you, do your research before you buy. Get actual advice from others and try our their equipment. You'll get a better feel for what kind of grip and blade work best for your style, what masks fit best, and the like.

10) What advice would you give someone just starting out in fencing?

The best advice I can give a new person to the sport is that it is as much of a mental game as it is a physical one - or even more. I notice that on days when I don't feel very confident in my capabilities, I don't fence as well. Uncertainty and fear will destroy your game - just committing to your attack will make your lunge longer and faster. Negative thoughts cloud your judgment and make it more difficult to notice small tells and make quick decisions. So it really is all about loosening up and having fun with your bouts. Your opponent will really appreciate it, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment